Broke with my usual lunch routine (of precisely NOTHING) to stroll down to the corner mini-mart for a Diet Dr. Pepper and Peanut M&Ms. Big surprise, right?
Here's what I would have missed had I stayed inside . . .
- A mom returning from her back-to-school trip to Mervyns with her two young boys. They struggled under three large plastic bags full of clothes. They had walked, not driven, to Mervyns.
- Guy in a pickup listening to reggae with his windows shut tight. I could hear it clearly from three car lengths away, both times I passed him.
- Brand new fence going up at a rental house that's been vacant for months.
- Green minivan with Alice in Chains window sticker.
- Lady in shorts on a medical scooter, zooming along the sidewalk. She was missing one leg.
- Hastily-discarded popsicle box on the corner of someone's lawn, most likely stolen from the corner market.
- Old lady pulling far to the right in (an admittedly awkward) intersection, turning on her LEFT blinker, and going straight.
- A strong south breeze that is keeping Chico cool and dry today, which is one reason I opted for a walk (usually inadvisable at noon in the summer).
The words to a song I suddenly realize I've been humming for 20 minutes:
I think I'll go for a walk outside
The summer sun's callin' my name
(I hear ya now)
I just can't stay inside all day
I gotta get out get me some of those rays
Everybody seems so happy today
It's a sunshine day
Oh God. It's the Brady Bunch.
(Photo stolen from Amazon.com)
I'm never going for a walk again.
Sorry for the earworm.